Arlet

My name is Arlett and I am 25 years old. I come from Reichenbach. a small town in Saxony. I have an apprenticeship as a certified child care taker. My Life dream is to settle down in the United Kingdom, and this is the reason why I am here.
I have a work placement at St. Mary’s Family Centre Day care Nursery and in the After School Club in Upper Norwood. This Work placement is at a special place, a church. My colleagues are very nice and we want to stay in contact when I’m back in Germany. I am working with children from 2 years old to 11 years old. My job is to look after them, singing some songs, reading stories, preparing food, helping them with their homework, flick painting, build some things and the most important thing in this job is playing with them. I really enjoy the work and I’m learning a lot which is useful for my Life dream. Most of these things are new vocabulary and more about the work in the United Kingdom. I also get more information about the English school system which is important for my sons future.
And now about London: My favourite places that I visited are The London Dungeon and The London Bridge Experiences with the London Tombs. These are great places for people who like scary things. But its not just the scary things you also get to know a lot of information about the English history in the past like Jack the Ripper and the history of the London Bridge. I really liked the Westfield Shopping Mall in Sheppard’s bush and the shopping at Oxford Street. In the Westfield Shopping Mall you can find shops like Gucci or Swarovski. There are also some shops for people who don’t have so much money. The greatest thing what I saw in this Mall was Rihanna. She was there to put the Christmas Lights on and to celebrate her new album. It was so great to see her!
I’ve done a sightseeing-tour through London and it was good because I have seen all the popular places in London like the London Eye, Big Ben or The houses of Parliament. The most impressive sight I’ve seen was the Tower bridge. It was interesting to see how the bridge changed if ships are driving through and than shut down that pedestrians and cars can go over the bridge.
What was difficult for me? The food! Because it is different than the one we get in Germany, but after a couple of days you get used to it.
The biggest challenge for me was the underground system. At the first time I was lost because it’s such a big net and you are going to be confused. Some lines split and go in two different directions. But now I can manage it.
The best thing of all is that I found a lot of new friends. Some of them Germans and some of them English. It was a great time in London and I will always remember it and I will fight for my dream to be a part of this nation.